For this week’s Mini Chef Mondays post, we’re whipping up something new! Thanks to Handstand Kids, we tried a new Mexican recipe that the boys loved!
Prior to flipping through the Mexican Cookbook we received, I had never heard of chilaquiles. Traditionally, it’s a dish made using leftovers from dinner for breakfast the next day. Sounds great, right? It is!
This was Charlie’s first time helping with something on the stove, so it was a big deal! He thought it was awesome. Of course, we had to remind that the stove is hot and be careful not to touch the cast-iron skillet when putting ingredients in.
We followed the recipe straight from the cookbook and took their suggestion for adding chicken, making for some yummy Chicken Chilaquiles with Eggs! This is perfect for a brunch or dinner idea!
What I really loved about the cookbook is that we introduced new words to Charlie! The Mexican Cookbook includes a bunch of Spanish words for the kids to learn. So, not only are kids exposed to new foods, but a new language as well.
- 4 cups corn tortilla chips
- 6 eggs, whisked together
- 1 cup shredded Mexican Blend cheese
- 1 small white onion, diced
- ¾ cup cooked chicken, chopped
- 1½ cup salsa
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- sour cream
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high.
- Add diced onion and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs and salsa, stirring to scramble.
- Add chicken while eggs are still cooking.
- When eggs are almost cooked, stir in tortilla chips and cheese.
- Top with sour cream to serve.
You may not think your kid will eat this, but let them help you in the kitchen and they’ll eat anything! When kids are involved in the process, they’re proud of what they created and are excited about trying new things.
Charlie was really excited about following the recipe and wanting to know what the next step was. My only complaint about the cookbook was that I would have liked a final photo of the dish.
How cute is my Mini Chef in his chef’s hat and apron from Handstand Kids?
We were sent the Farmer’s Market set, which is bright and features healthy choices for kids. The hat fits him perfectly, but the apron is a little big for my four year old, so I tied a knot in the neck hole to shorten it up a bit.
If you’re interested in shopping at Handstand Kids, we have a coupon for you! Just use code: Mini to save 25% on your order!
I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 11 fabulous bloggers! Read how Mini Chef Mondays started and how to link up!
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well. We would love it if you would share your Mini Chef posts with us each week, too! Follow along socially and join in on the fun by using our hashtag #MiniChefMondays to share creations your mini chef created in the kitchen. Additionally, if you have a kid-friendly recipe that kids can easily recreate, link up! Don’t have a blog? Share the URL of your instagram photo in our linky below.
- Chocolate Caramel Apple Nachos // Courtney’s Sweets
- Easy Pizza Dough Recipe // Momma Lew
- Easy Pumpkin Bread Pudding // Baby Loving Mama
- Homemade Bread Bowl Recipe // We’re Parents
- Simple & Sweet Tea Party Menu // Frugal Novice
- Kid Friendly Meal Chicken Nugget Kabobs // Eating Richly Even When You’re Broke
- Mango Clementine Banana Smoothie // Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps
- Yummy Dutch Apple Crisp // Step Stool Chef
- Riceless Vegetable Sushi // Vegging at the Shore
- Chicken Chilaquiles with Eggs // Mom’s Messy Miracles
- Apple Pie Taquitos // O’Boy! Organic
- Strawberry Blueberry Swirl Fruit Leather // Can’t Google Everything